SMTPfeed Home Page
SMTPfeed -- SMTP Fast Exploding External Deliverer --
(Updated on March 19, 2002)
What is SMTPfeed?
SMTPfeed is a SMTP delivery agent which is called by
sendmail, and it
improves time required to complete delivery a message to huge number of
recipients. SMTPfeed is effective for delivery of large mailing lists.
SMTPfeed requires the LMTP(RFC2033) feature available since sendmail
8.9. But another hack is also required to make feature of SMTPfeed more
effective. The hack is for increase number of recipient dramatically
in one SMTP transaction. A patch (3.4W) for the hack is also available.
- Act as an external mailer for sendmail using LMTP(RFC2033)
- No temporary files -- just on memory processing
- Simultaneous DNS(MX/A RRs) query for multiple destination domains
- Simultaneous SMTP transaction to multiple destination hosts
(up to limitation on number of file descriptors)
- MX piggybacking with a RR base (not with sequence of MX RRs)
- ESMTP Pipelining (RFC2197)
- SMTP connection caching (for deriveries of copies of a message)
set -u option to enable
- Failure caching (through running queue operation)
- Fallback MX host can be specified
- Static routing map support (see -M option in OPTIONS file)
- IPv6 support
Supported Operating Systems (report based information)
- AIX 4.3.2
- BSD/OS 2.1, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0, 4.0.1
- Debian GNU/Linux 2.x
- Digital UNIX 3.2C, 4.0B, 4.0C 4.0D
- FreeBSD 2.1.0, 2,1,7, 2.2.1, 2.2.5, 2.2.6, 2.2.7, 2.2.8
- IRIX 5.3, 6.2
- Linux 2.0.32, 2.0.33, 2.0.36
- NetBSD/i386 1.2G, 1.3I, 1.3.2
- NetBSD/sparc 1.3I
- NetBSD/alpha 1.3I
- NEWS-OS 4.2.1a+RD
- Solaris/sparc 2.5, 2.5.1, 2.6, 7
- Solaris/x86 2.5
- SunOS 4.1.3_U1, 4.1.4
(additional reports are welcome)
- ESMTP DSN(Delivery Status Notification; RFC1891) information will be
ignored if DSN is not supported by a destination SMTP server
- 8bit message will be sent as is to an SMTP server which does not support
ESMTP 8BITMIME (RFC1652) without 8to7 conversion
- Checkpointing feature of sendmail is not effective with SMTPfeed mailer
How to get SMTPfeed
The newest SMTPfeed package is:
These packages can be found in
Some remarkable results
- 90% of 22 recipients in 2 seconds.
- 90% of 253 recipients in 14 seconds.
- 90% of 1213 recipients in 29 seconds.
- 90% of 3747 recipients in 44 seconds.
- 90% of 5141 recipients in 192 seconds.
- 5141 recipients in 386 seconds.
- 9000 recipients in 1260 seconds.
Please contact <firstname.lastname@example.org>
for subscription. Discussion is held in Japanese (sorry).
Please send bug reports to <email@example.com>.
NAKAMURA Motonori, WIDE Project